Staff Experience on Patient Discharge Information Summary (PDIS) in Enhancing Information Giving upon Discharge

This abstract has open access
Abstract Summary
Abstract ID :
HAC238
Submission Type
Authors (including presenting author) :
Wong ELY(1), Tang KS(2), Cheung AWL(1), Sze RKC(1), Chow KM(3), Yiu ALP(3), Lau EYF(4), Ngai CWL(4), Lui SF(1), Tang PF(5)
Affiliation :
(1) JC School of Public Health and Primary Care, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (2) Hong Kong West Cluster: Duchess of Kent Children's Hospital, TWGHs Fung Yiu King Hospital and MacLehose Medical Rehabilitation Centre (3) Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Prince of Wales Hospital (4) Department of Medicine, Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital (5) Quality & Safety Division, Tuen Mun Hospital, Hong Kong Hospital Authority
Introduction :
Hospital Authority (HA) has launched an auto-generated Patient Discharge Information Summary (PDIS) in four piloting hospitals since January 2018. To facilitate patient discharge information giving, the PDIS is given to patients from the Department of Medicine who are older than 65 years old when they are discharged. The Summary including (1) a standardized medication reminder (SMR) which is related to the most relevant and important medication precautions of prescribed medicines to look; and (2) the follow up appointments in HA. The study aims to understand healthcare staff views about the implementation of PDIS which is an essential information for further improvement.
Objectives :
To explore the views, attitudes and concerns of healthcare professionals in relation to the introduction of PDIS in HA inpatient setting.
Methodology :
A cross-sectional self-administered questionnaire survey was conducted in September to December 2018 among healthcare professionals including doctors and nurses working in the Department of Medicine in two piloting hospitals, Prince of Wales Hospital (PWH) and Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital (PYNEH).
Result & Outcome :
The questionnaires were distributed to 1,011 doctors and nurses in PWH and PYNEH, of whom 690 returned the questionnaire, achieving an overall response rate of 68%. Respondents included 80 (12%) physician and 610 (88%) nurses. More than two-third respondents (70%) were female. The majority of them (42%) had at least 10 years working experience in their professions. Most of the doctor (89%) have never provided PDIS to patient. All of nurses provided PDIS in which around two-third of the nurses always (76%) works out the issue with patients upon leaving hospital using PDIS and around 24% of them sometimes do this. For the overarching question evaluating the overall experience of delivering patient discharge information using PDIS, 75% of them rated 6 or above along a scoring scale of to 10. Regarding the views on the PDIS, they mostly agreed that PDIS provided “clear and understandable information” and was “useful” for patient/ care giver managing their health upon discharge. The staff expressed generally to support the extension of the coverage of drug entities in PDIS and suggested several aspects for improvement such as the indication for medication change (dosage/ new drug), auto printing of PDIS, etc.

Similar Abstracts by Type

Abstract ID
Abstract Title
Abstract Topic
Submission Type
Primary Author
HAC182
Better Manage Growing Demands
Non-HA Staff
Ms. Claudia Ching Yan Chung
HAC252
Healthcare Advances, Research and Innovations
Non-HA Staff
Lorraine Chiang
HAC232
Clinical Safety and Quality Service III
Non-HA Staff
Kiu Yan Lam
HAC103
Enhancing Partnership with Patients and Community
Non-HA Staff
Ms. Man Ping SUN
HAC267
Clinical Safety and Quality Service I
Non-HA Staff
Ms. Wai Man Kwok
HAC280
Healthcare Advances, Research and Innovations
Non-HA Staff
Mr. Kin King Leung
HAC85
Healthcare Advances, Research and Innovations
Non-HA Staff
Mr. Marques Ng